Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Signs and Symptoms of a brain aneurysm

Signs and symptoms of a brain aneurysm, bear with me this one will be long.

I had signs for 4 years, I just didn't recognize them. I had debilitating migraines that I would black out from, even the stillness of the air in a room hurt me. I know that doesn't make sense, but it is the only way to describe it. Vision in my right eye had changed drastically, I had astigmatism out of no where, numbness in my arms and a persistent dull headache. I was going into my 4th week of a headache when I told my co-workers I would go to the doctor on Monday, they were worried. I worked with the best group of people. The aneurysm hit me that night, it was Friday. After the surgery and talking with doctors is when I put the signs and symptoms together. He estimated that I had more than 4 years of scar tissue from the aneurysm leaking. The cause likely my pregnancy and childbirth, it was then that I learned having another child I would likely not survive. Something I finally came to terms with about 5 years later.

As far as when I knew something was wrong, that's vivid. I was on the phone with my youngest sister, LoraLee, and Michael was watching Lion King. I suddenly felt like I had been hit in the back of the head with a sledge hammer. It was a bring me to my knees pain and it was truly the worst, most sudden pain of my entire life. Honestly labor was less painful and I had a natural, drug free birth. Unfortunately, LoraLee was in Indy and I told her I had to go that there was something wrong. I remember worrying about her throughout the night and the next morning because that is the last she heard from me and I didn't know if anyone had talked to her, if she was on the road and it was late or what. I even tried to wait before surgery the next morning to see her and my other sisters and brother to make sure she was okay.

The pain in the back of my head was severe, instinctively I knew that it was a life or death moment for me and that I needed help. If I had ignored the headache that time, I would not be here today. Hours later they had found 2 aneurysms, they were described as Mickey Mouse ears, they were next to each other. The 3rd was a micro, found in surgery, it hadn't even shown up on the angiogram it was so small. It was after surgery when the doctor also told us that I have a 100% chance of another aneurysm. But that's another story.

No comments :

Post a Comment