Monday, September 30, 2013

Being Bullied

I was bullied a lot in the 5th grade, to this day I remember the sunny day being tied up with a jump rope and left outside. I remember people picking on me for wearing dresses every day, I remember the miserable feeling of having to go to school, especially that year, but many other days too. I will say that not every day was miserable, I did have some good times in school, but not always. It just became easier to be what people thought or said than be me. I hear people say they would love to go back to the good old days of high school, I couldn't wait to never have to step foot in another classroom.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always stop as you become an adult. Gossip and talking about someone is just another part of bullying adding to that negativity, especially when you know it will get around and back to that person. Be aware of your surroundings, be aware when you are talking about someone in a dressing room, be aware when you are talking about someone and don't believe they, or someone close to them, is in earshot, or at a booth in a restaurant. Be aware of the fact that you are teaching your children that it is okay. Be aware of your words, they are worse than any stick I have ever come across. Be aware of how easy it is to use your fingers via social media, email or text and the lasting effect of those words. Be aware of what is most damaging, what is that? Is when it is someone you love,trust and respected.  Once that is shattered, I don't know if you are ever the same.

I found out recently that someone apparently still has stories to tell, even as untrue as they are. Did it bother me? Yes. Is it easier for me to move past it, finally yes.

I learned over the years to stay in the background, to stay silent. Except to myself, the self talk in my head resonated their words. It has taken me years to learn that what the collective "they" have to say isn't true, it doesn't always work.  Anyone who has gone through bullying, being put down or talked about by those they love has times when it creeps back to the surface, sometimes it is easy to push out of the way and other times, not so much.  It's those times when it takes days, weeks, months of talking to yourself, trying to find your bearings again, trying to become whole again.  It's when you dig deep, trust the Lord because he knows your hurts and he knows how to heal. Now, I work hard at making sure others don't give in, say or believe that self talk, especially with the women in my life. 

Be uplifting in someone's life, stay positive and remember the old saying if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all has never been truer.

Bullies called him Pork Chop - Upworthy

No comments :

Post a Comment