Monday, September 29, 2014

I Choose Happy!

We all have the choice to change, we aren't trees as Jim Rohn says. If you do not like your situation, stop talking about it, stop thinking about and do something about it.

"When you change, everything will change for you, when you get better, everything will get better for you." -Jim Rohn 
When I was in college I had a professor who challenged us.  He told us that all of us had a choice in life, no matter the situation.  I remember all of us being upset by his challenge, we staunchly argued with him, using my brain surgery a few short years prior as our evidence that "I" in particular did not have a choice.  We left that class and never understood why he would say such a thing, how dare he and more.  It wasn't until a few years later, that I finally understood and you know what?  He was right after all.  EVERYTHING we do or say is a choice, everything.  I did have a choice.  What we actually have to weigh is the consequences of our choice.  I have the brain surgery, I might live and if I didn't I would most definitely die, but I still had a choice, it wasn't have the brain surgery or not, it was to live or die.  
As we grow older, hopefully we grow wiser.  There comes a time in life when we have to take responsibility for our actions, our choices, our lives. We can either be mad, bitter or angry about what has happened to us, or that which we have perceived.  Unfortunately too many go off half cocked about what they think happened, or have been told. There lives are shaped by the bitterness they hang on to, they thrive on it.  For what purpose?  Oh pitful me, look at what has happened to ME, look what someone said to ME, what they did to ME, feel sorry for ME. That is a part of their identity now.

I have been through A LOT in my lifetime, growing up as the oldest child, but actually the middle.That comes with it's own set of issues. We went through hard time, layoffs, illness, deaths and so, so much more.  I have been through a lot of trials, many of which I could use to get sympathy on how hard my life has been,  Relationships that have come and gone, some that have been stripped raw and rebuilt, better, stronger, kinder, wiser.  No, I do not plan to share as it's not a part of my identity, victim, it's not a part of my who I choose to be.

I have learned that everything I do, is my choice, it is my decision.  How I choose to handle a situation, whether it is hatred or kindness, it is my choice.  But if I handle that situation with vile hatred, that is all I am spreading, that is what someone remembers about me.  I am not saying I get it right every time, I do get upset and sometime lose a bit of my temper. I'll tell you what though, it's nothing like the temper I lost in my 20's, I grew up.

There comes a time in your life when you have to stop blaming others, stop blaming the economy, your boss, your parents, your situation. Stop blaming others for your feeling and the choices YOU are still making. YOU are 100% responsible for how you feel and what is or is not happening in your life.  I have learned over time that I get to choose who and what I am each and everyday and I choose happy.  Even when faced with deep depression and not knowing how to get out of bed, I make the choice and I get out of bed anyway.  Why? Because it will lead back to my happy.  I dive into the Word of God to find peace and understanding because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt the He will be with me and carry me when just don't know how.  Each day, I choose happy, each day I choose to be there for my husband, each day I choose to be the best person I know how to be.  Each day I choose what will come out of my mouth.  Each day I choose.

We face challenges each and every day, every single one of us.  It is up to us to make a choice, we are either defined by our past or we chose to live in the present and make a bright future.  What choice will you make?  

Will it be easy? Probably not. Will it be worth it? Absolutely.  Start feeding your dream, not your past.

No comments :

Post a Comment